The VersaLex application will process an incoming SMTP MIME message as follows:
- If not a multipart message, the body of the message will be treated as a single file.
- Each part of a multipart message will be treated as a single file. Both inline and attachment disposition types are retained.
- If present, a preamble before the first part of a multipart message will be logged and then discarded. It will not be retained as a file.
Received multipart subtypes mixed, parallel, related, and nested multiparts will all be treated as simply one group of files. Multipart/alternative requires special consideration since duplicate, alternative representations of the same information may be included. Multipart/alternative will be processed as follows:
- If any attachment disposition types are present, these parts are all retained as a group of files and the rest of the multipart/alternative parts are discarded.
- Otherwise, if a text/plain content type is present, this part is retained as a single file and the rest of the multipart/alternative parts are discarded.
- Otherwise, the message data is rejected by the VersaLex SMTP server.
Configuring SMTP Service
- Expand the Local Listener node in the tree pane and then click the SMTP node.
- On the SMTP tab in the content pane, specify parameter values as appropriate.
See Local Listener SMTP Service reference for information about the parameters available.
- Click Apply.
Local Listener SMTP Service reference
- My Identification
- User Name
- These values comprise your email address, that is User Name@Domain.
- Acceptable additional incoming receiver usernames
- Values recognized as valid To values by the VersaLex SMTP server. For these To values, the @Domain portion must be the same as specified in the Domain field. Cleo Harmony and Cleo VLTrader applications only.
- Optional - specify an email address or server to which you would like to send any responses, including bounced messages and error messages. The value must be specified as User Name@Domain. For the Cleo LexiCom application, the Return-Path must be entered to designate the server to receive any responses or error message. The value must be specified as user@domain.
- Perform reverse DNS lookup
- Cleo Harmony and Cleo VLTrader applications only. Select Perform reverse DNS lookup if you would like to verify the source domain name of an incoming email.
- Allow VERIFY command
- Cleo Harmony and Cleo VLTrader applications only. Deselect Allow VERIFY command if you do not want your trading partners to be able to specifically verify your email address.
- Case sensitive usernames
- Cleo Harmony and Cleo VLTrader applications only. Deselect Case sensitive usernames if you want to allow your trading partner's incoming email username verification to not be upper/lowercase dependent.
- DSNs Storage Folder
- Cleo Harmony and Cleo VLTrader applications only. If desired, change the location of the DSNs Storage Folder. This folder stores Delivery Status Notifications (DSNs). By default this directory is pre-defined to be a subdirectory under the directory tree. To change the location:
- Click the ... button.
- Specify the new path using the directory chooser.
- Click Apply.
- Retain Message ID History
- Cleo Harmony and Cleo VLTrader applications only. If desired, change the number of days to Retain Message ID History. The default is 5 days. This setting is used to check for duplicate messages from your trading partners.
Configuring inbound and outbound media types
Use the Content tab to specify acceptable inbound and outbound media types.
A media type can be wildcarded with asterisks (
*) or question marks (
?). Multiple media types can be separated by semi-colons (
;) or commas (
,) or entered on separate lines. Example values include:
*– any payload media types acceptable
*/xml– all payload media types with subtype
text/*;image/*– all payload media types with content-type
application/edi*– all payload media types with content-type
applicationand subtype starting with
To specify separate values for outbound versus inbound, deselect Same as inbound.
Working with DSNs
You can view received delivery status notifications (DSNs) on the DSNs tab.
View the details of any particular DSN entry in the table by either right-clicking on a specific row and choosing the Display option, or by double-clicking on any row to get a detail window containing the contents of the end response.
If a delivery status notification has not yet been received, the Cleo Harmony or Cleo VLTrader application displays message tracking information, including: the original message-ID, date, subject, and envelope-ID, the Cleo Harmony or Cleo VLTrader host/mailbox, the name and location of the files, and the original recipients. If the message has errored out, the status indicates timeout.
Click the Copy button on the bottom of display window to copy DSN information to the clipboard. Click Print on the bottom of the display window to print the DSN. Alternatively, right-click an entry in the DSN table and select Print.
Filtering the DSN list
Use the Status drop-down menu to filter the DSN entries displayed. By default, the filter is set to
Any and all DSNs are displayed. If no entries match the filter, no entries are displayed.
You can manually archive DSN files from the DSNs tab.
- Hold down the Ctrl key and click the rows you want to select. Alternatively, select a series of rows by holding down the Shift key and selecting the first and last row.
- While still holding down the Ctrl or Shift key, right-click to display the menu.
- Release the Ctrl or Shift key and select Archive from the menu.
Note: For the web UI, it is particularly important to release the Ctrl or Shift key prior to making the menu selection, as leaving it depressed could bring up another browser tab.
The files are stored in compressed/zip format in the SMTP\dsn\received\archive directory. Files included in the archive are removed from the SMTP\dsn\received directory and the DSNs are removed from the display.
The VersaLex application also automatically archives DSNs after a specified number has been received. Set this value in the Archive Automatically After Maximum Receipts field on the Local Listener Advanced tab. See Specifying Local Listener advanced properties.