Create a Control Number Generator to assign a sequential number to your trading partner's interchange, group, and message control numbers for outbound EDI documents.
- Select File | New | Control Number Generator from the main menu bar. The New Control Number Generator window appears.
- Provide the Source folder, Package, and Name.
- Click Finish. An editor appears.
Defining a Control Number Generator assigns a sequential number to your trading partner's interchange, group, and message control numbers for outbound EDI documents.
- Click Add to create an entry for each document level. While interchange and group levels are normally required, you should always confirm the trading partner's exact requirements. Generally, per standard EDI protocol, you do not assign a control number to your message level. In this case, Clarify automatically assigns a control number of one, which increments until the next message level, at which point the control number returns to one.
- Populate the Name and Last Number fields for each entry. The last number determine the numbering sequence to occur for the very next outbound document. For example, a last number set to 0000005 will increment at the next document processing to 0000006.
- Click Save to complete this task.
Note: For the most part, the CNG is primarily a “one and done” type of object; once defined and deployed there is seldom a need for editing or adjustment.