The system log file is a repository for ALL runtime messages. The existence of a log file and the level of messages stored in the log file can be configured. See Specifying default host directories .
The entire log file can be viewed or the log file can be viewed relative to a particular tree branch.
Note: By default, when the system log file reaches five megabytes, the VersaLex application automatically archives and restarts the log file.
- To initiate viewing of the entire log file (that is, for *):
- In the native UI:
- Select in the menu bar
- Click Log in the toolbar
- Right-click in empty space in the tree pane and select Log
- Right-click in the messages pane and select Log
- In the web UI:
- Select Logs from the menu bar
- In the native UI:
- To initiate viewing of the log file relative to a tree branch in the native and classic web UI (that is, for <action > mailbox@host), right-click a host, mailbox, action or local hostin the tree pane and select Log.
- Further refine the criteria of the log file view:
All messages matching the specified criteria are listed in the upper portion of the window. The lower portion of the window contains summary statistics for the messages listed.
- By default, the log file's entire date/time range (From and To) is viewed. Adjust as desired for viewing; pull-down lists provide common date and time values.
- The selected relative tree branch (For) can be modified or reselected via a pull-down list.
- By default, the active log file (File) is viewed. Browse for an archived log file.
- By default, all message types (Run, Detail, Command, Result, File, Transfer, Request, and Response) are viewed. For a description of the message types, see Screen layout. Click off any undesired message types.
- Manipulate as desired and click OK.
- Right-click in the messages area.
- Select Find to enter or recall a search string and find the first occurrence in the message list. Select Find Next to find the next occurrence.
- Select Copy to copy all the selected messages (as text) to the system clipboard. Click on a message to select it. Multiple messages can be selected by holding the Shift or Ctrl key while clicking.
- Select Select All to select all the messages at once.
- Select P Color to remove coloring in the messages, if you prefer. Any red error conditions will appear bolded instead.
- By default, the messages are sorted chronologically. Select to sort the messages alphabetically by tree branch. Select to sort the messages alphabetically by type.
- Right-click in the summary area.
- Select Copy to copy the summary (as text) to the system clipboard.
- Additionally, since it is an XML file (and it is always well-formed), the log file can also be viewed through a browser at any time, potentially with an XSL style sheet applied. See XML file formats for information about the layout of the log XML file.
Please sign in to leave a comment.