These steps describe how to use the Project Generator to create an EDI Project based on sample EDI data. The EDI Sample Data option analyzes sample data (most likely a document obtained from a trading partner) to identify certain required enveloping data, which it then uses to generate a new Project for that trading partner. This option offers a simple but effective way to on-board new trading partners.
The following prerequisites apply.
- There must be at least one Project in the same Workspace that you’ll be using to generate a new Project.
- Always have the Local Test Server stopped at time of Project generation.
- The Project Template should be a well-structured inbound or outbound EDI project that follows recommended naming conventions and practices.
- Choose the Project Template. This is an existing Project from which you will model the new Project.
To do this, go to the Project Explorer view, select the Project Template and right-click, choosing CIC Project Generator. A wizard appears, displaying the selected Project Template, Template Project Type, and several Operation options.Note: You can also use the New button. Just be sure to have the Template Project selected before you do.The Template Project Type either displays EDI (X12 or EDIFACT) or non-EDI. For this procedure, the type must be EDI.Operation refers to different options and source data to be used to generate the Project. Choices include EDI Sample Data, Trading Partner .csv file, or Copy Project (non-EDI).
- Select the EDI Sample Data operation radio button, and click Next to proceed. The next wizard screen appears, displaying the Project Template and the Template Trading Partner Name.
Note: The Template Trading Partner Name field should display the Trading Partner object name from the Template Project. If for some reason this value is something other than the Trading Partner object, you can edit this information directly from the field. This name represents the value to be replaced by a substitution value you determine, and this replacement will occur throughout all resources in your generated Project.Note: If you decide to change this value, there is a recommended (but not enforced) three-character minimum. If you enter a value length smaller than three, you will receive a warning message. For example: If you entered a substitution value of "A", then the Project Generator would try to identify all such values. This would most likely result in a failed value replacement. Ideally, you would use, at the minimum, the substitution value of "ABC", thereby giving the Project Wizard more refined search and replace parameters.
The importance of a structured Project Template that adheres to good naming conventions and practices cannot be overemphasized. If you’ve used your trading partner name or identifier consistently throughout your Project Template, then the Project Generator is able to quickly identify trading partner values to be replaced, thereby generating a new Project that retains resource and naming structure for the new trading partner’s Project.
- Add your sample EDI data. This is done using the Browse button to locate and select data. Multiple files can be used.
Sample data must be valid X12, EDIFACT, or TRADACOMS document(s), and contain the values required for objects (Inbound EDI Routes, EDI Envelopers) created in the generated Project.
- Specify the direction of the sample EDI data being used, by clicking either the Inbound or Outbound radio button.
When selecting Inbound: Values (Sender/Receiver IDs) that are in the sample data will be directly mapped into values in an Inbound EDI Route, and will be reversed for an EDI Enveloper.When selecting Outbound: Values (Sender/Receiver IDs) that are in the sample data will be directly mapped into values in an EDI Enveloper and reversed for an Inbound EDI Route.
- Click Next to proceed; the wizard now displays the current trading partner configuration information for review.
Note: You can manually edit the Trading Partner Name field. This value will become part of your Project and Package names.
- Click Finish to complete this process.