String-type variables can be used to populate rule properties with character data that does not appear in local data files or incoming documents.
- Make sure nothing in Variables is selected. If something is selected, Ctrl+click on it to deselect it.
Click the Add Variable button to produce the Create a New Variable window.
- In the Name field, type what you'd like to call the variable.
- Select String from the Type drop-down.
- If you want to hard-code a value, type it in the Value field.
- If you wish to set an empty string (removing some characters is a common use case), then select the Initialize as empty string checkbox.
- (Version 1 Rulesets only) If you want to limit how long the data string can be, select the Set String Constraints check box. Type the maximum length in the Length field.
- Click OK to complete this task.